Thursday, April 9, 2009

Litho film


Working on some lithos ( Litho film = antiquated term for transparency film used for making half tones) 

Actually I'm using the stuff you can print on with your ink jet printer that I bought at Staples... It's marketed for use with overhead projectors. I paid extra for the kind that you can write on with a marker as well... 

3M makes it. I looked for the slightly cheaper (and probably wouldn't work at all) Staples brand, but no go...so I went with 3M.

Really the stuff is nice...at a dollar a sheet...I had to buy 40 sheets, so I've got a surplus now.

Above: a halftone image.

I started printing and promptly ran out of ink (my fault for not checking)...Back to Staples...(next time I buy a printer I think I'll make sure CVS stocks the ink cartridges.)

Anyway...every few years I get the urge to silkscreen some tee-shirts. To do this I convert an image to halftone in Photoshop than print it onto litho film. Then I can transfer the image to a silk screen with a light sensitive emulsion (sometimes called photo screen emulsion).

The resulting silk screen may then be called a photo-screen, and can be screened onto a tee-shirt or paper or anything that's reasonably flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment